Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Runaway litigation

I know I’m supposed to be writing about sports, but it’s my blog and I reserve the right to take a detour now and then.
The story of former ‘‘runaway bride’’ Jennifer Wilbanks suing her former fiance for $500,000 marks such an occasion.
Wilbanks reportedly wants $250,000 as her share of a home she purchased with John C. Mason, the guy she left at the altar when she decided to tour the country by Greyhound a year ago April. She’s also seeking $250,000 in punitive damages.
A thought came to me as I read the story. When Mason was served with the court papers, did his eyes bulge out of their sockets the way Wilbanks’ seem to in every published photo?
Let’s do a quick review of the Wilbanks saga. Mason proposed, she said ‘‘I do.’’ They set a wedding date and plan a ceremony that apparently had something like 7,000 guests and 300 bridesmaids (my math might be a little off). She wigs out, goes AWOL on a bus, doesn’t leave a note and disappears for four days while hundreds of police and volunteers conduct a search for a presumed kidnapping victim.
Then, to top it all off, Mason forgives her vanishing act and buys a house with her. Now he’s getting dragged into a courtroom.
My first instinct was to sympathize with the guy, but upon further review (a phrase used by college football refs ... see, this is a sports blog!) I’m not so sure who is the bigger headcase. Her disappearing act was looney, but so was his decision to forgive her.
The more you think about them, the more sane Terrell Owens seems.

No comments: