Tuesday, September 19, 2006

In a fog over a blog

If you’ve read any of my sports columns in the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer over the course of the last three years, you know I rarely find myself at a loss for words. But then my boss told me the other day that he wanted me to start keeping a sports blog.
So I sat in silence for a change as he explained this whole ‘‘blog’’ concept, of which I’d hoped to remain blissfully unaware.
It seems I was hopelessly out of touch with this technological development, because all the cool kids have been doing this blogging thing for quite some time.
If it were left up to me, I would be typing this on my old Commodore 64 as a show of protest because, quite frankly, technology and all of its trappings scares me. I don’t mean to sound like the Unabomber. It’s just that it gets frustrating trying to keep pace with all the gadgetry of the digital age.
In my lifetime, I’ve been forced to abandon my Atari video game system for Sega and then PlayStation. I’ve gone from Beta to VHS to DVD and, what the heck, even HDTV. I’ve experienced the disappointment of watching 8-tracks, vinyl records, cassette tapes fall by the wayside. And now, after years of comfort with CDs, I’m hopelessly behind everyone who listens to MP3s. And they’ve been rendered out of date by iPods.
So here I am trying to keep pace for a change, trying to merge on to the jampacked Information Superhighway even though I feel like I’m driving a Yugo with a clogged carburator.
Of course, progress isn’t all bad. I’ll gladly take a game of EA Sports NCAA Football or Madden ’07 over Atari’s Pong any day.
And the good news for you in all of this is that my blog means there’s more of me for you guys to love ... or loathe.

No comments: