Saturday, September 30, 2006

The cult of football

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- I learned years ago that college football is a religion in this part of the country, but what I saw on my walk to the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium press box certainly reinforced it.
It was very possible that I was just invited to join a cult. I couldn't be sure. In any event, a 12-person troupe of Hare Krishnas encouraged me and several other nearby pedestrians to join their chanting, dancing drum circle.
If I didn't have a football game to cover, I might have put on one of their pale orange robes, shaved my head bald except for a small ponytail on top and strapped on some comfy sandals.
One of them toted a sign: ‘‘Say Hare Krishna -- It's good for you.’’
Some other activities might feel even better.
A group standing on the lawn of a fraternity house brandished a sign for passing cars.
‘‘Honk and we'll drink.''
Just a guess here, but I think they'll drink anyway.

No comments: