Saturday, September 23, 2006

Hanging cool in a Buffalo stance

I'll go ahead and admit it. I made a mistake. I'm not at the Georgia-Colorado game. I made a late decision not to go because the matchup seemed to lack any trace of sizzle thanks to Colorado's 0-3 record and loss to Division I-AA Montana State.
Instead I'm sitting in the Jordan-Hare Stadium press box, watching Auburn against Buffalo University rather than seeing Georgia against Buffaloes. The way I figured it, I could have gone to either game and seen Buffalo chips on display.
I had no reason, however, to think that Georgia's offense would be more maladorous than Ralphie's pen before a good cleaning.
By the time Auburn kicked off, Georgia was trying to climb out of a 13-0 third-quarter trench.
Fans love intersectional games against major conference schools, but this Saturday illustrates the reason why so many Southeastern Conference schools shell out $600,000 to get Buffalo or Western Kentucky on the schedule rather than a Big 12 or Big 10 opponent.
It's difficult to be ''on'' every week, especially in a non-conference matchup where there's really nothing at stake. Good teams sleepwalk every now and then. The SEC season is enough of a grind by itself, but then there's the potential for an appearance in the league title game.
Fans say they want to see Notre Dame-Georgia or USC-Auburn, but there's a considerable risk in putting one of those teams on the schedule instead of Appalachian State or Eastern Michigan.
Which team would you rather play if you were a head coach?

No comments: