Monday, February 18, 2008

Wild ride

My wife had a question for me when she found out what I planned to be doing Tuesday afternoon.

''Where's your life insurance policy?''

In the lock box, of course.

She needed to know a couple other details.

The 401K? My IRAs? Any and all over savings accounts that we don't already share jointly?

"I am the beneficiary, right?'' she asked.

Of course, dear.

She wanted to know because, as of noon or so Tuesday, I could be flying around Atlanta Motor Speedway at roughly 165 mph. There's a good chance you'll recognize me by the unique screaming sound I'm sure will be just barely audible above the growling engine.

My Ledger-Enquirer colleague, Jerry Morehouse, and I have accepted an invitation to attend a media luncheon with four-time NASCAR Spring Cup Jeff Gordon at Atlanta Motor Speedway. He'll be there to promote the upcoming Kobalt Tools 500.

Afterward, there's a good chance he'll be scaring us to the point of near-bladder release.

After lunch, us reporter-types will be allowed to participate in ride-alongs provided by the Jeff Gordon Racing School. We'll get strapped into a modified, two-seat stock car and driven around the track at alarming speeds. If I happen to be one of the six reporters who win a sweepstakes drawing, I'll have Gordon at the wheel for my turn.

So I had to do some thinking today. Have I ever written anything that would p--- off Gordon?

I didn't think I had, but checked just to be safe.

I also made sure the life insurance policy was in the lock box, but that was more for my wife's benefit.

If I'm going to watch my life pass before my eyes at 160-plus mph, I might as well have a driver like Gordon at the controls.

1 comment:

Susan said...

that's a riot about the insurance, etc. - that Brig: eyes always on the prize!! :)