Wednesday, February 20, 2008

One crazy ride

There's nothing quite like getting scared to death to make you feel alive.

If you read my column today about my experience as a passenger in a specially modified stock car at the Jeff Gordon Racing School (available, as always, at www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports), you probably know where I'm coming from with this.

I've done some crazy things before. I've ridden countless roller coasters, tumbled head-first off high-dives, gone bobsledding and been relentlessly pounded by the ocean while surfing.

Nothing provided a rush quite like sitting in the passenger seat of a Monte Carlo being driven around Atlanta Motor Speedway at 175 mph.

At least they told us it went 175. The driver might have been taking it easy at 150 or so, but it's impossible to know for certain since no speedometer exists on the dashboard. Just an RPM gauge, a fuel indicator and lots of mysterious toggle switches.

You definitely feel the speed, whether it's 150 or 175. It throws you back in your seat and steps on your chest in the high, 24-degree bank turns. If I had to describe it in one word, it would be this: Speedgasm. I realize that's not a legitimate word and I hope it doesn't offend you, but that's the best approximation I can make.

During lunch Tuesday with four-time NASCAR champion Jeff Gordon, Gordon explained what it's like to participate in a ridealong as a passenger.

"Imagine the best and worst feeling at the same time,'' he said.

I understand now. The best part is the sheer rush from going that fast. The worst is not having control of the wheel and getting an up-close view of the wall, which feels no more than six inches removed from the window as you roar into the straightaway.

Gordon proved to be a charming lunch companion. I've been around him at races before, but this was my first chance to talk to him. He's very personable and could easily transition into TV when he decides to quit driving.

He actually shared some interesting insights about his ''exit plan'' from NASCAR, which I'll post more about later.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I'm so glad I finally got to read about the speedgasm!!!! rock on Troy!

Anonymous said...

soundoff site has been desroyed