Monday, August 20, 2007

The Little Stiff-Arm Guy

Got an express mail envelope from the Downtown Athletic Club the other day, the contents of which finally got me revved up about the impending start of college football.
Enclosed was the informational packet the group sends to its Heisman Trophy voters at the start of every season. I've been a voter for the last four years, one of 800 or so nationwide, and I take it seriously.
In addition to fanning out all over the Southeast to cover games on Saturdays, I record West Coast games and other matchups of interest so I can get a look at players I might not otherwise see first-hand.
My ballot last year looked like this:
1. Troy Smith, Ohio State (Yeah, I wanted to take that one back after the BCS championship game)
2. Darren McFadden, Arkansas
3. Ian Johnson, Boise State (felt better about that after his Statue of Liberty touchdown run against Texas in the Fiesta Bowl)
Just off my list were former Georgia Tech receiver Calvin Johnson, who would have had a second-place vote if not for the fact that I witnessed the Clemson game in person and saw him get shut out, and Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan.
I'll admit I have a few fundamental problems with the description of the Heisman Trophy. It doesn't truly measure the best overall player in the country. It's for the guys who play the glamor positions. I try to consider linemen and defensive players before putting together my ballot, but they're more difficult to judge. There's more of a statistical body of work for quarterbacks, running backs, etc., than there is for strong safeties and left tackles.
Thankfully, the Outland Trophy and Nagurski Award give a nod to those guys.
That said, here's my preseason watch list. Feel free to contribute your own in the discussion forum.

PRESEASON HEISMAN FAVORITES

1. Darren McFadden, Arkansas: A big tailback with blazing speed (Hmm, Bo and Herschel come to mind). He shredded defenses for 1,647 yards and 14 TDs despite sharing carries with another 1,000-yard rusher in Felix Jones. He's the most dynamic running back I've seen in a while. D-Mac also deserves props for the three TD passes he threw for last season out of the Wildcat formation. What separates him from others, in my mind, is that he produces against the SEC's top defensive units.

2. Steve Slaton, West Virginia: If his teammate, QB Pat White, is the fastest player on the field most Saturdays, then Slaton is the second-fastest by a split second. Check this out: 7.2 yards per carry last season and 1,744 yards out of the Mountaineers' spread option offense. He's probably my favorite player to watch. White should get some love from voters as well, especially if his passing becomes more prominent.

3. John David Booty, USC: The Beastie Boys once asked the question: ''Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?'' The answer: ''I believe it's Booty! Booty! Yes, that's what it is.'' His stats were nice enough -- 3,347 passing yards, 29 TDs, nine interceptions and a 61 percent completion rate. But he runs the offense of a potential national champion. That's enough to merit consideration, although I'm not entirely convinced he's the best quarterback in the country. I'm digging Brian Brohm at Louisville, Brennan at Hawaii, White at West Virginia, Andre Woodson at Kentucky and Colt McCoy at Texas.

4. Ian Johnson, Boise State: In addition to willing Boise to victory against Texas in last season's bowl game, this guy rolled up 1,714 yards and 25 TDs. He was the engine that drove a very good and very underappreciated team. He's kind of a grinder, not the sort of guy who breaks off big, flashy runs, but very dependable.

5. Colt Brennan, Hawaii: Last season's work was the stuff of a fevered XBoxers imagination -- 5,549 passing yards, 58 TDs and a 72.6 percent completion rate. I know, I know. The run-and-shoot also gave us the likes of Andre Ware and David Klingler, but hear me out. The mighty Warriors could sneak into the top 25 this year and they could do even better than that. They might be this year's Boise, a surprise team that challenges for a BCS berth.

On the fringe: Mike Hart (RB, Michigan), Brian Brohm (QB, Louisville), Percy Harvin (WR/RB, Florida), Desean Jackson (WR, Cal).

No comments: