Thursday, July 19, 2007

Soccer's savior

My column about David Beckham's arrival in America provoked a slew of responses from folks who are under the misguided impression that I'm soccer-phobic because I'm not buying into the hype.
I'm not anti-soccer, just anti-misappropriated hype.
I played soccer from the age of 6 through high school and briefly considered playing the sport in college. As a youth, my family regularly attended North American Soccer League games. I enjoy watching Major League Soccer and the World Cup. I wish MLS a long, healthy life, but I have a difficult time believing it will ever gain traction outside of a few metropolitan enclaves. To the average sports fan, it occupies the same territory as the NHL.
My problem with the whole Beckham thing is that it seems so contrived. There would be more credibility if his wife, Victoria, aka Posh Spice, didn't already have a reality TV show.

1 comment:

RICHARD HYATT said...

Soccer barely edges out women's basketball on my list of sports to avoid. I'm more interested in competitive checkers.